11.18.2011

back to december

(this is from sunday... My internet hasn't worked in a bit)It's crazy to me that December is right around the corner. I really can't believe it.

I had tentative plans with myself to go to Siena this Saturday but I just couldn't bring myself to get out of bed. I think this is the first Saturday where I've slept in and had a truly lazy day. I felt bad at first and as soon as my nap settled on, I no longer felt bad. I needed a day to rest.

However, I did meet some friends and new people on Saturday night. One of the other Au pairs, megan from London, invited a bunch of people to dinner to celebrate her birthday. We all met at a small restaurant in some piazza called Semolina. I could tell I was going to like this place when the man who greeted me at the door looked straight out of the movie lady and the tramp. You know, the one who feeds them the spaghetti and sings Bella Notte. I digress.

The meal and company were wonderful. The waitress brought us prosecco right away...a sparkling white wine that is just the right amount of sweet and dry. Then we order appetizers. On two giant wooden boards, came bruschetta, salami, bologna, chicken liver pate on toast, and balls of mozzarella. First, the bologna was so good and I have nightmares from looking at Oscar Meyer. And if you've never had chicken liver pate, then you my friends, are missing out. It's served hot on toast and it typical fare in Tuscany.

After that, we had our first plate which was pasta in our case. We had taglitelle with a mushroom sauce and chunks of meaty mushrooms. There was also an angel hair with clams. Throughout, we had jugs of red and white wine passed throughout the table.

For our second plate, some of us who were too full had bites of others' food. Some of the boys got a steak, and it came out on another wooden board, red and bones sticking out everywhere. It was enormous and they had to hack at it to get it apart. But so so delicious. Megan had this tuna filet which was lightly breaded and seasoned and seared to perfection. I have not had better tuna.

We finished with bites of dessert...chocolate cake, cheesecake made with yogurt, marzipan something or other and of course, coffee and limonecello.

What I loved most about this meal - save the great diversity of people and conversation - was how we went about eating it. We arrived at eight and didn't leave until half past midnight. It took us that long to eat and it was wonderful. For all the food we had, I didn't feel sick to my stomach from being too full. These courses came out slowly by slowly so you can breathe. I would take any visitor to this restaurant...it's one of the better ones I've been to in Florence. I am sure there are many quite like it, but because it's off the beaten path, it just seemed to be better.

Salute to delicious wine, food and friends!

No comments: