Well. It's been one of those days. You know, like a Friday before a three day weekend. The fun begins tomorrow and you have something wonderful planned. This day before is not capable of being like any other day, I know this. Days like this are filled with short fuses, crazed disasters, and anything out of the ordinary that can happen, will.
Anne refers to this as a Jonah day. I mean, who thinks that one day, before they can move on to the bigger and better, will have to spend the night in the belly of a whale? my day wasn't awful. It was just long. And it was clouded with my anxiety about my trip tomorrow.
I leave for Naples in the morning. I have high expectations for this trip...and no expectations because I don't know what to expect at all. I am going to see the house my grandmother grew up in. I have the address and the name of her aunt who I doubt is still living and I know the most pocoissimo Italiano so how do I say, "my grandmother grew up here"? (and as I write, I realize that is actually quite simple to say or look up through google translate). Anyway, what do I do? Show up on the doorstep? I have some photos with me of my family and home. (having photos of see two things is something I've learned to bring along on travels regardless). I'll have my camera ready. More than likely, I'll take a photo of the door and the surrounding area and call it a day. I'm not quite sure what I'm wanting out of going there.
I have also made a few random connections that can hopefully get me on to the Navy base where my grandfather was stationed during the Korean War. You see, he and my grandmother me in Naples and here I am today.
So. This is more than a trip for me i think. At least I want it to be. I want to see what so many say is the heart of Italy. I want to see the place that some Italians say, "see Naples and die" which is quite morbid but they love that place. I will see. I will eat pizza and not at the eat pray love place because I'm anti-eat pray love book/movie. But I will see some old sights and potentially Pompeii and visit the island of Ustica. I hope to regale you of a wonderful experience and I'm sure i will find something I am looking for there.
My Jonah day will end with a tossing and turnful sleep, no doubt, but nothing some Florentine coffee can't fix before i leave. This coffee in Italy is serious business and it's the bomb. I will be in touch!
11.03.2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment